Monday, November 21, 2011

Masks

Somehow, no matter what store, what section or what aisle, Riley always finds treasure. Sunday we ran into HomeGoods simply to buy something inspirational for a table I'm setting (more on that later). Trips to stores with that much goodness, seem to consist of me repeating phrases like: "Don't touch Riley, very breakable", "Stay close to me, keep your hands to yourself". How silly to take this little girl who has an affection for anything glittery, shiny & colorful into a store filled with glittery, shiny & colorful and expect her not to touch! Riley was on the hunt for a treasure, something she could hold. Right there amongst the Lenox glass bowls, beautiful decorative glass she found this mask. She looked at me as if to say "can I touch it?" but without waiting for an answer put it to her face.

As beautiful as the mask was and after 4 pictures on the iPhone, I couldn't wait for her to pull it away from her face.
It was a reminder to me :

• Masks are often worn by hurting people. When people cross the line from their real pain to their real world, the mask can become as necessary to wear as a coat on a snowy day,

• Masks aren't real. There's something living & breathing behind the mask. But somehow we treat the mask like it's real.

•Masks don't hide everything. Even though this mask covered Rileys entire face. It didn't hide her eyes. I know those eyes. They are a window to her soul. There is a distinct glimmer in them when she's happy & the swelling of tears when she's sad.

•Masks aren't permanent. There is time when the mask comes off. When we can be vulnerable & honest with ourselves & those around us.

We have two roles to play in relationships with others. We become the mask wearer or mask remover, the person who helps remove the mask of another person.

My desire is for compassion to ooze from my every word, action & body language that people around me are compelled to remove their mask. That they can be real & not hide behind the thing that separates them from others.
And when that glittery, shiny mask is on my face, I want to be in the presence of those who will compel me remove it.

What are your masks & who have you surrounded yourself with?

2 comments:

jjschulz said...

Corina,
Your sentence, "My desire is for compassion to ooze from my every word, action & body language that people around me are compelled to remove their mask" was penetrating. I want to be that kind of person, too. Thank you for the inspiration!

Hope your Thanksgiving is filled with God's goodness and brimming over with His grace!

Blessings,
Jamie

mynameismiko said...

We wear the mask that grins and lies,
It hides our cheeks and shades our eyes,—
This debt we pay to human guile;
With torn and bleeding hearts we smile,
And mouth with myriad subtleties.

Why should the world be over-wise,
In counting all our tears and sighs?
Nay, let them only see us, while
We wear the mask.

We smile, but, O great Christ, our cries
To thee from tortured souls arise.
We sing, but oh the clay is vile
Beneath our feet, and long the mile;
But let the world dream otherwise,
We wear the mask!

-Paul Laurence Dunbar