Tuesday, November 8, 2011

26.2 Miles of lessons

Two very good friends of mine made a decision to run the "Two-Cities Marathon" last Sunday. They set their sights on this race months ago. I know them well enough to know they don't make flippant decisions & they keep commitments. Honestly, I wasn't sure if they would be able to do it. They carry busy busy schedules, have families & had a hunting trip planned during what would be, a portion of their training. But low & behold, Sunday came, they took their place, pushed themselves past their limits and they ran. They ran hard. They ran 26.2 miles. They ran across the finish line.
Here are some things I learned from observing their process:

1. Seek advice from those who have done something you have never done. •Of course there will be those who "think" they know... Ask for pictures & 3 references & proof if necessary.

2. A new goal will require you to do something new.
•For instance, trying new gear. Even if it's a barefoot simulated shoe with toes. No matter how crazy or ugly it seems try it anyway.

3. Enlist support from those close to you.
•Everyone needs a little push and good support.

4. Don't give up. DON'T GIVE UP!
•Quitting is NOT an option. Unless of course, it's related to nicotine then quit away my friend

5. Allow others to celebrate your victory.
•I believe in cheering sections. Big, loud, bold cheering sections. For those of us in the cheering section it's like winning by association.

In the end, it was 26.2 miles of running. 26.2 miles of sweating. 26.2 miles of muscle aches. 26.2 miles of achievement.

Nick, Tom, I celebrate you.
Your discipline encourages me.
Your persistence challenges me.
Your victory strengthens me.

No comments: