Thursday, October 27, 2011

People Watching Lesson

One of my favorite things to do is people watch. An even more favorite thing is to watch people I admire, or love when they don't notice me. I'm not talking about the creepy, stalker, taking pictures with your iPhone kind of watching. I'm talking about taking notice of how they conduct themselves or what makes them unique.

Last week I had an opportunity to be around some amazing people. Some I'm around daily, others not often enough & one I met for the first time. He's the one who I want to focus on. This man has a successful church in Singapore, his wife a rockstar (literally a rockstar in Asia), he speaks all over the world. I was intrigued to find out what He was like off the platform.
Here's a snapshot of things I observed:

•he entered a room he went straight for people he didn't know (like me)
•he set his coffee down before he shook hands
•he looked directly in the eyes if the person he was talking to
•he remembered my name
•he asked thoughtful questions and listened intently to the answer
•he didn't look at his iPhone ONCE during our lunch together
•he paused before answering a question
•he smiled, ALOT
•he laughed at himself
•he was humble in his conversation & actions

I know this isn't much. At first glance of my observations I thought why write about this? Here's why:

In our society we forget that human touch is important. We are so busy with texting & tweeting that eye contact is rare. When people talk we seldom listen, really, really listen. Our coffee & phones hardly leave our hands in hopes of a handshake or hug from someone.
We have forgotten that connection with people makes us better. It strengthens us & somehow in the process we learn about others & ourselves.

This week I learned a lesson from watching people. I learned that to be successful in relationships, & by all accounts this man is, how I interact with people matters.

What are the things that keep you from connecting with people in a way that impacts them & changes you?

2 comments:

KIC said...

Awesome wisdom and insight!

Angela DiGiovanni said...

My own fear of not being well received.

Corina, you inspire me! You have a positive, uplifting spirit in the face of tragedy and you give me hope to be brave and courageous through trials.

Love that you're blogging!