Saturday, October 15, 2011

The Race.

Last week I watched my daughter Riley participate in her schools Jog-a-thon. I stood in awe as I watched The faces of 40+ kindergarteners walk in Buchanan HS stadium. The stands were empty, but by the looks on their faces, it seemed they walked into a packed stadium. The track seemed massive as small feet began to walk on it. Riley did this little twirl thing when she walked to the starting line on the track.

When the announcer gave instruction no one listened. But when she said "GO" something magical happened. Every child, took off running in the same direction. Now to most people they just saw running kids. Not me.
I saw something different:

•I saw kids running their race with the expectation that something good would come at the end.

•I saw them running with Joy not complaining about the conditions.

•I saw them run like they were made for the race. Everyone seemed to be in their element.

•I saw parents run along side them cheering them on to victory. Not caring what place they were in but caring that they finished.

•I saw kids who wanted to stop but kept running to stay in stride with their friends.

•I saw a generation who could easily out run us all.

I know this was just a 15 min run. But my eyes were opened to the idea that maybe Jesus made us all with this inward unction to run our race. That if we could run like these 5 year old kids we might find ourselves running a race that doesn't collect pledges but collects souls. That we could cross a finish line and celebrate with our friends & family. That what we did mattered. That we could finish our race.

Let's run!

No comments: