Thursday, December 22, 2011

Gift Tags

So we stand a few days before Christmas and the only gift under our tree is this one... A gift Riley made in school.

Last night she wanted to show me what the tag said. She opened it up. Clearly & carefully written was " To Mom and Dad Love Riley"

Yeah. Deep breath, remember to smile.
I watched for Taylor's reaction and he watched for mine. Being 12 doesn't free him from the pain of searching for words that will fit. However this time he didn't speak, though the tears in eyes spoke loud to me.

Riley took the reins and proudly said:
"I made this present @ school for you & daddy. He will watch you open it from Heaven. Daddy will smile & be happy he has a present"
There you have it. A 5 year old's perspective. She taught me 3 things tonight:

1) A heart to please our father is in each of us.
Riley instinctively knew Jon would be happy. In the four years she had him on earth she remembered how big of a deal he made out of EVERY gift.

2) A smile speaks loudly to our children.
Much like when Jon was alive,in his absence she desires to do something that might generate a smile.

3) Do what feels right in your heart.
Writing that tag felt right to her. She knew why she wanted her daddy to be a part of that gift. She did it the way her heart told her.

I'm not sure how I will feel inside opening that gift or what it might be. But I do know I will smile big, I will be happy & I will hold the moment close to my heart.

3 comments:

September Roberts said...

Thank you for sharing! This is such an inspiration to those on the outside. Love you!

Unknown said...

Just another reason to be more like a child. The continuity in relationships is naturally maintained beyond what we can see.

Melinda said...

I love that girl and her way of looking at things. Priceless wisdom......
Have a blessed and memorable Christmas.
LOVE YOU ALL! !!!!!